Juden in Hoechstaedt / Donau

July 31, 2011

Hoechstadt on the Danube as some other neighboring towns already in 13th century have a number of Jewish inhabitants noted in contemporary registers. In 1396 Augsburg tax payer books mention “Bunnung of Hochstetten” as well as his unnamed son as tax payer. In 1424 and 1425 a unnamed  “Jewes of Hoechstaet” is listed. Since women according to medieval German laws in generally were not regarded as “legally competend” she obviously must had been a widow, maybe the one of the before mentioned Bunnung. So far nothing else is known from any of the Jews related to Hoechstaedten. During the same period also other towns register Jews from Hoechstaedt, one Yosef Hoechstaet is noted as student of Yosef bar Moshe the famous author of לקט יושר (see: http://www.hebrewbooks.org/15009), who obviously came from the town on the Danube. In 1703 and 1704 there were the Battles of Blenheim which in German are refered to Hoechsaedt. However the modern family name Höchstädter, which appears also on grave markers at Augsburg Jewish cemeteries most certainly derivers from a more recent, temporarily 18th century Jewish settlement in the small town near Dillingen and Binswangen (with some 6000 inhabitants today). It is said that there was an own small Jewish cemetery near the village, but since there are no grave markers left you may guess where exactly you may look for it. However today the only leftover is a street sign “Judenberg” which likely indicates the previous Jewish presence in this street.   

Wenige Einträge in Registern anderer Städte deuten auf mittelalterliche Juden in Höchstädt an der Donau, wo es trotzdem im 18. Jahrhundert auch eine neuere keleine Gemeinde mit eigenem Friedhof gegeben haben soll. Von diesem freilich ist nichts erhalten und so ist neben dem Familiennamen Höchstädter der sich wohl auf den kleinen Ort an der Donau beziehen wird, ein Straßenschild mit der Aufschrift “Judenberg“, der einzige namentlich Beleg, der bislang am Ort überdauert hat.

Advertisements

אתמול היה טוב, ויהיה גם מחר

July 29, 2011

צחקנו מהכל, שרפנו את מה שבא ליד


Jews in Aichach

July 28, 2011

Aichach, although east of Lech river, for some 40 years is part of Bavarian Swabia. In medieval times Aichach (the name literarily means “oak creek” and therefore has an oak tree in the coats of arms) was Bavarian. From its vicinity the ruling House of Wittelsbach emerged when the count of Scheyern in early 12th century founded Wittelsbach Castle. At the hill of Oberwittelsbach, which as well as Unterwittelsbach today is part of the City of Aichach, there are scarse remnants of an older castle, which however may be somewhat younger in age.

Among the considerable Wittelsbach rulers which reigned Bavaria until 1918 was “Ludwig the Bavarian”, who was Roman Emperor until 1348. It is known that Kaiser Ludwig had lots of contact with the Jewish community of neighboring Augsburg. Time and again he needed money for military campaigns or to provide financing of the royal household and therefore he borrowed considerable sums of money from the representatives of the Augsburg Jewry. For this purpose the Wittelsbach emperor even gave Munich his resindence in pawn.

Medieval Augsburg records know Isaak from Aichach who is noted in 1363 as tax payer, several years later the same source notes Moses of Aichach in the time frame 1377 – 1382. This of course does not mean that other Jews mentioned in Augsburg were not from Aichach either and it also does not mean that all Jews from Aichach were mentioned in tax records or municipal deeds. However in indicates that at least in this time period Jews from Aichach lived in Augsburg. Wittelsbach Castle as it is said was destroyed already in 1209 –  archeological research has no evidence – however Aichach in the second half of the 14th century until 1384 also was a location of the Deutschorden, the so called order of Teutonic Knights. The official name is “Order of Brothers of the German House of St. Mary in Jerusalem” (Latin: Ordo domus Sanctæ Mariæ Theutonicorum Hierosolymitanorum) what of course underlines the crusade history of the order. Obviously the Jews in Aichach were in some ways connected to the Order. A maybe they eplained them the way to Jerusalem or how to keep a seder. We do not know.

vermutetes Aussehen der alten Burg

(imagination of the former extent of the 12th/ 13th century Wittelsbach Castle as displayed at the spot)

Aichach today is best known in the region for it’s license tag abbreviation “AIC” and for the only woman prison in Bavaria with some 440 inmates, which was established in 1908. Among the inmates of the prison also had been Ilse Koch, nee Köhler (1906-1967) wife of Karl Koch who after his introduction of the KZ system in occupied norway became the Kommander of Buchenwald and Majdanek (1941-43) concentration camps, which had self-evident nicknames like “Beast of Buchenwald” or “the Butcher Widow”. Her husband was sentenced to death for his crimes. Ilse Koch in 1967 committed suicide in Aichach.

Further details:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilse_Koch

Ob es eine Geschichte der Juden in Aichach gab ist schwer zu sagen. Augsburger Urkunden aus der zweiten Hälfte des 14. Jahrhundert nennen Isaak und Moses als Juden von Aichach. Sie werden kaum die einzigen gewesen kein. Nach der Aufgabe des Deutschorden-Sitzes im Stammgebiet der Wittelsbacher sind keine Juden mehr in den Akten genannt. doch ist das freilich nur ein Indiz. Die Aufzeichnungen sind weitgehend lückenhaft und in der Regel hatte die gefühlten Analphabeten oft sicher mehr Interesse Geld zu kassieren, als Abrechnungen zu machen, die kaum einer der Zeitgenossen lesen konnte oder sollte … Mit Ilse Koch ist Aichach freilich auch neuzeitlich in gruseliger Weise mit der jüdischen Geschichte verbunden.


Jüdischer Friedhof Augsburg Pfersee / Kriegshaber

July 22, 2011

http://www.alemannia-judaica.de/images/Images%20302/CEM-KRI-BURIAL-REGISTER-SPATIAL.pdf

http://www.alemannia-judaica.de/images/Images%20302/CEM-KRI-BURIAL-REGISTER-ALPHABETICAL.pdf

Auf den Seiten der oben zitierten Links der „Alemannia Judaica“ sind nun auch die Register des jüdischen Friedhofs von Kriegshaber / Pfersee veröffentlicht. Der Friedhof wurde nach allgemeiner Auffassung im Jahre 1626 eingerichtet, ist aber wahrscheinlich *etwas* älter (und umfangreicher). Die beiden Register geben den ermittelten Wissenstand zur Belegung in zweifacher Weise wieder, zum einem hinsichtlich der räumlichen Anordnung der ermittelbaren Gräber (wegen des erheblich Zerstörungsgrad nicht durchgehend der Grabsteine), zum anderen die alphabetische Ordnung der ermittelten Bestatteten. Letzteres ist freilich eher für Genealogen von Belang.

Die Listen können auf Grund des beeinträchtigten Forschungsstands nicht zuletzt auch wegen vieler eher ungünstigen aktuellen Bedingungen nur ein Ansatz sein, den Gegebenheiten auf die Spur zu kommen. Viele Fragen müssen derzeit offen bleiben, manche sind den äußeren Umständen geschuldet, andere unwiederbringlichen Zerstörungen zurückliegender Jahrzehnte. Nachfahren und versierte Forscher die einzelne oder weiterführende Erkenntnisse haben sind willkommen, ihre Einsichten und Erinnerungen beizusteuern, um das Wissen für die Allgemeinheit zu bereichern.

Da uns der historisch überaus bedeutsame Friedhof von Medinat Schwaben, der ehemaligen jüdischen heiligen Gemeinden von Pfersee, Kriegshaber, Steppach und Schlipsheim aus verschiedenen, auch familiären Gründen sehr naheliegt, sind wir seitens des JHVA auch eher ernüchtert als erfreut, nur diesen Wissensstand präsentieren zu können.  

בעזרת השם, המצב יהיה טוב יותר ביום המחר – בעזרתך, אולי

 “Eine bekannte Rede sagt, man lernt für das Leben, man lernt nicht für den Lehrer, aber auch das ist falsch verstanden. Ob du die Namen fremder Länder auswendig lernst oder Algebra, es nutzt dir nichts, wenn du auf dem Feld stehen musst, um die Ernte einzubringen vor dem Hagel. Du kannst die erfundenen Namen von fernen Sternen wissen, aber es nutzt dir nichts, wenn deine Frau im Kindbett zu sterben droht. Du kannst gelernt haben, wie man an einen Grafen einen Bittbrief schreibt, aber damit wirst du keine Seuche von deinem Vieh abhalten. In den Schulen lernen Schüler für vieles Geld viele eitle Dinge, die praktisch wenig nutzen. Es ist, als ob man einen Esel mit vielem Ballast noch mehr belädt, so dass er die wesentlichen Dinge nicht mehr tragen oder selbst nicht mehr laufen kann. Vieles lädt man den Schülern auf den Buckel, was sie nur in wenigen bestimmten Berufen benötigen und sie an den Universitäten lernen könnten. Somit fehlt nun aber die Zeit zu lehren, was für alle gleich wichtig ist, die gemeinsamen Vorzüge und Eigenheiten, die allen Menschen gelten, ob sie nun ein Geometer oder eine Magd sein mögen, dies sind die Gebote der Tora und die Schriften der Weisen. Stattdessen tritt nun an die Stelle der Tora oft der Gehorsam gegenüber dem Lehrer. Der Schüler lernt nicht mehr die Gottesfurcht, sondern die Angst vor dem Lehrer, die an die Stelle der Angst der Kinder tritt, von den Eltern verlassen zu werden. Der Schüler lernt nun sich in die Gemeinschaft der Klasse zu fügen und den Anordnungen zu folgen. Die Gemeinschaft gibt ihm den Schutz und er lernt dass er sicherer ist, wenn er keine andere Meinungen hat, aber Ärger bekommt, wenn er widerspricht. Er lernt, dass Bewahren gut und Neues schlecht ist und so entsteht in ihm das schädliche Übermaß der קבוע. Diese Erfahrung überträgt er auf seine Familie, auf seine Freunde und er wird es gut finden und verteidigen selbst wenn es offensichtlich falsch ist. Es ist wie in der Generation der Wüstenwanderung. Sie wurden befreit aus der Knechtschaft Ägyptens und bald schon sehnen sie aus Angst vor der Veränderung die Speisetöpfe der Knechtschaft zurück. Die Unterdrückung und Qual ist ihnen lieber als die Ungewissheit, was wird morgen sein?

Aus demselben Grund hat Jakobs Schwiegervater ihm das Leben schwer gemacht und ihm immer neue Aufgaben erfunden, denn er wollte keine Veränderung und seine Töchter nicht abgeben. Das erinnert an jene, die nicht mehr leben wollen, wenn ihre Frau oder ihr Mann stirbt. Wer an den Grabsteinen entlang geht, kann oft sehen, dass zwischen dem Tod von Mann und Frau nicht viel Zeit liegt. Ohne die Bindung hat ihr Leben keine Kraft mehr. Der Verlust ist unerträglich, das Leben geht an ihnen vorbei. Das lebende Wasser des Lebens, die Tora, wird fest und ihre Augen werden krank und blind. Das Wasser der Tora, ein Fluss, der Leben in alles Land bringt, steht still und wird ein Tümpel der zu stinken anfängt. Der Mensch taucht nicht mehr in die Mikwe ein, in das lebendige Wasser. Er reinigt sich nicht, sondern taucht ein in die Jauche und besudelt sich und seine Mitmenschen.

Die Angst vor der Veränderung im Leben ist die Angst vor dem Leben selbst. Sie beruht darauf, dass der Mensch sich selbst mehr liebt als HaSchem, er fürchtet seinen Verlust mehr als HaSchem, aber wir wissen aus der Thora, dass der Preis für Schutz und Gewohnheit die Freiheit der Auswahl ist.”

(Vorsitzendner R. Schimon ben Sanwil Ulmo, gest. 1720 Pfersee, aus “Über die Fixierung” / “Sechs Kapitel”)

burial registers of Pfersee / Kriegshaber Jewish Cemetery

The best is yet to come … be’esrat Hashem.


Jüdischer Friedhof Augsburg Hochfeld

July 21, 2011

בעמודים של

www.alemannia-judaica.de  

עכשיו רושמת קברי של בית העלמין היהודי באוגסבורג

http://www.alemannia-judaica.de/images/Images%20302/CEM-AUG-GRAVELIST-GERMAN.pdf 

(Grave marker of Kommerzienrat and free mason Albert and Hermine Arnold from Augsburg)

Dokumentation des jüdischen Friedhofs Augsburg Hochfeld

The documentation of Hochfeld Jewish Cemetery Augsburg between Haunstetter Str. and Alter Postweg in essentially is the result of one visit to the cemetery on a summer afternoon in May 2007, when we photographed all grave markers, made notes and measuring as well as the rough sketch of a layout plan…since many inscription were illegible or crumbled it of course needed further visits to amend numerous errors. Sometimes it was quite useful to use soft sponges and fresh water in order to smooth away mold. Since literarily nobody had interest for a complete documentation of all (remaining) grave marker inscriptions, but in mere formal data only, we kept it that way (although we have noted the inscriptions of course). Time and again additions were (and are) necessary and of course there still were many problems. Many archive material or private information of descendents differ time and again from tomb marker inscription. If there is one left, you at least may ponder over it. Some spellings or shapes of different letters are ambiguous.

(Rolf Hofmann and Margit Hummel comparing grave marker inscriptions and entries in the register, May 2009 at Hochfeld cemetery – note the bullet holes on the backsite of many grave markers. They actually come from “firing practise” of German soldiers or Nazi officers during the 1940s)

All the more we particularly have to thank Rolf Hofmann from Stuttgart who in several joint visits reviewed and counterchecked all grave markers and archive material over and over again in order to eliminate typos, transposed digits, misreading and other sources of error. He also did a lot of family research which provided many additional information and added the numbers of initial burial list of the pre-war community which are noted on the backside of most of the grave markers. 

Inevitably there still will be mistakes in our lists and many still open questions maybe never will be cleared up. But of course we hope to get response from all of you who know anything better.

The cemetery, established in 1866/7 still is used for burials, but at current annual burial rates foreseeable it will be fully occupied probably by 2013, some 150 years after its preliminary planning from 1864.

 http://www.alemannia-judaica.de/images/Images%20302/CEM-AUG-GRAVELIST-GERMAN.pdf

Additional lists on the burials at the cemetery (chronology, place or name indices) you also will find at the pages of Alemannia Judaica:

http://www.alemannia-judaica.de/augsburg_friedhof.htm

Many thanks last but not least to Joachim Hahn who made it possible to publish all the information packed and neatly arranged.

Charakteristische Einschusslöcher auf den Rückseiten zahlreicher Grabsteine im Eingangsbereich an der Haunstetter Str. geben Zeugnis davon, dass die Denkmäler am jüdischen Friedhof in den frühen 1940er Jahren von deutschen Soldaten oder Polizisten (wohl vom nahen KZ-Außenlager stammend) für Schießübungen benutzt wurden.


Dillingen an der Donau

July 18, 2011

Am jüdischen Friedhof zwischen Binswangen und Wertingen befinden sich zwei erhaltene Grabsteine, die auf Dillingen Bezug nehmen. Der eine stammt von Lazarus Häutemann (1842-1904) הייטעמאנן (= haitemann) und wird als Bankier aus Dillingen bezeichnet. Die gleichfalls am Friedhof bestattete aber anders geschriebene Bertha Hautemann (1850-1927) könnte wohl seine Frau gewesen sein. Der andere Bezug zu Dillingen ist der Grabstein des Julius Dreyfus, der bezeichnet wird als französischer Kriegsgefangener, gestorben am 15. November 1870 in Dillingen. Sowohl über den Bankier und sein Leben in Dillingen, als auch über den französischen Kriegsgefangen in der Stadt an der Donau war kurzfristig nichts zu finden. Vielleicht hat einer unser Leser Anhaltspunkte.

Two grave marker at Binswangen Jewish cemetery refer to nearby town of Dillingen at the Danube. One is the memorial for Lazarus Hautemann, the other is the inscription for Julius Drefus who is noted as French prisoner of war (pow) who died in November 1870 in Dillingen at the Danube. However during the 1870 / 1871 Franco-Prussian War there were no fightings in Bavaria. There is another Dillingen at Saar river, but it would make no sense to trasfer him from there to the other Dillingen … If you have any information on French pows in 1870 Bavaria or actually know anything about a banker Hautemann in Dillingen, please share it with us.

 L’inscription mentionné Julius Dreyfus “prisonnier de guerre français“. Il est décédé en novembre 1870 à Dillingen et est enterré au cimetière juif de Binswangen près de Dillingen sur le Danube.

 Si vous avez des informations, s’il vous plaît laissez-nous savoir ..!

 


לכה דודי

July 15, 2011

מילים

רבי שלמה הלוי

לכה דודי לקראת כלה,
פני שבת נקבלה.
לכה דודי לקראת כלה,
פני שבת נקבלה.

לכה (לכה) דודי (דודי),
לכה דודי לקראת כלה,
פני שבת נקבלה.
לכה דודי לקראת כלה.
פני שבת נקבלה.

שמור וזכור בדיבור אחד,
השמיענו אל המיוחד,
אדוני אחד ושמו אחד,
לשם ולתפארת ולתהילה.

לכה דודי…

לקראת שבת לכו ונלכה,
כי היא מקור הברכה,
מראש מקדם נסוכה,
סוף מעשה במחשבה תחילה.

לכה דודי…

מקדש מלך עיר מלוכה,
קומי צאי מתוך ההפכה,
רב לך שבת בעמק הבכא,
והוא יחמול עלייך חמלה.

לכה דודי…

התנערי, מעפר קומי,
לבשי בגדי תפארתך עמי,
על יד בן ישי בית הלחמי,
קרבה אל נפשי גאלה.

לכה דודי…

התעוררי, התעוררי,
כי בא אורך, קומי אורי,
עורי, עורי, שיר דברי,
כבוד ה’ עלייך נגלה.

לכה דודי…

לא תבושי ולא תכלמי,
מה תשתוחחי ומה תהמי,
בך יחסו עניי עמי,
ונבנתה עיר על תילה.

לכה דודי…

והיו למשסה שאסיך,
ורחקו כל מבלעייך,
ישיש עלייך אלוהייך,
כמשוש חתן על כלה.

לכה דודי…

ימין ושמאל תפרוצי,
ואת ה’ תעריצי,
על יד איש בין פרצי,
ונשמחה ונגילה.

לכה דודי…

בואי בשלום עטרת בעלה,
גם בשמחה ובצהלה,
תוך אמוני עם סגולה,
בואי כלה, בואי כלה.

לכה דודי…

“Lecha dodi” (“go on my love”) is a traditional song composed by R. Shlomo Halevi Alkabetz (1500-1580) from Zfat,  (Safed), commonly for the dusk of Friday in order to welcome the holy shabbes which is refered as “bride”.

English translation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lekhah_Dodi