In der Wintergasse diente ein umgebautes Wohnhaus vom 11. Nissan 5625 (Freitag 7. April 1865) bis zum Jahr 1917 als Synagoge.
From spring 1865 until 1917 a converted dwelling house at Wintergasse (a back alley to Augsburg s famous Maximilianstr.) served as Synagogue of the new established Jewish Community. The now developing “liberal” community soon implemented a church organ as one of the first in Germany, what split the Jewish Community. However, when Hungarian born Rabbi Dr. Hirschfeld who inaugurated the building, announced to join a Synod of liberal Reform Rabbis in Augsburg in summer 1871 , he was dismissed therefore in advance and was later under spell.
So the first modern Synagogue in Augsburg wasn’t under a lucky star. When in 1917 it was abandonend because of the inauguration of the new Synagogue at Halderstr., the buildung now was converted again, this time into a hat factory. During British bombardements in february 1944 the building as many others in the City of Augsburg was hit and burned out.